4.17.2011

"...an ever-present help in trouble."

I can't even begin to express how blessed I feel to know all my family and friends were protected from the deadly tornadoes that struck North Carolina yesterday.  Having spent much of my afternoon yesterday and today watching news coverage on the twisters, I am both shocked and heartbroken.  From the account of the two children that died in Raleigh to the lady in Bertie County who lost three of her relatives, I can't even begin to imagine the heartbreak.

I was sitting in my dorm room this afternoon just wishing I had my car on campus so I could go help these people and praying that God would present an opportunity for me to do so sometime soon.  Even when I posted about mine and Ben's experience yesterday, I had no clue just how catastrophic the twisters really were. 

I feel like there is no better time than now to shed Christ's love on these hurting people.  My Dad has always told me there are many times in life when you have to meet people's physical needs before you meet their spiritual needs.  At a time when many of our fellow North Carolinians have unfortunately lost loved ones and their basic needs, I feel so compelled to find some way to help meet the physical needs of those who were affected. God is the perfect comforter during this time and it is my prayers that He would use His people to spread a message of hope, friendship, and compassion that would be a reflection of who Jesus is.

I did just a little bit of research on organizations that are currently taking donations, looking for volunteers, and providing relief efforts.  Both Baptists on Mission and Samaritan's Purse are gospel centered organizations that are providing direct aid in the areas affected by Saturday's tornadoes. These links will take you directly to information about helping and donating! The sites didn't mention anything about providing aid in Harnett County and being from there I was wondering if anyone knew of another site that I could post with information about helping and donating in the Dunn area.

I am really  praying God would give me the opportunity to help in this time of trouble when I go home over Easter Break. I am so thankful that although He is control of all things and doesn't need my help, He is gracious enough to use me.   If any of you know of any other ways to help or have any ideas about getting involved, please leave a comment! (you don't even have to sign up for an account!) It is my prayer that we can exchange all this information with one another so that as many people as possible can get involved and spread the sweet name of Jesus! Also..if you know of anyone who was affected and needs prayers requests, please also leave a comment so prayers can be lifted up!

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea"
Psalm 46:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment