6.03.2012

Update!

Hey y'all! Hope your Sunday has been great and everyone is ready for a wonderful week ahead!


The past two days have been wonderful here in Charleston.  Yesterday our group went to Folly Beach which is only about a 15 minute drive from downtown.  That morning, the staff provided us with some great tools for starting spiritual conversations with others.  When we went out onto the beach, my Bible Study, Caroline, Laura, Elaine, Kelly, Ashley, and I, divided up into groups of two or three, in hopes to meet new people and strike some conversations up.  Caroline, Ashley, and myself ended up talking with some girls who were a few years older than us for over an hour.  It was awesome because we were able to hear what they believe and then share with them a little bit about what they believe. One of the girls began to talk about a lot of difficult things she is facing right now and asked where we went to church down here. We even exchanged numbers and she wants to come to our Campus Crusade worship night this Thursday! Please be in prayer for her that we would be able to build a relationship with her this summer and that she would realize just how much Jesus loves her and want a relationship with Him! We will have the opportunity to go out and talk with people every Saturday for the next ten weeks so please pray that the Lord would prepare people's hearts to hear and experience the Gospel. 


After we came back from the beach, we headed over to a park across from our hotel where we had our very own field day. Yes, we played some of the exact games I remember playing in elementary school at field day. :) For example, we played "dizzy bat," in which we had to go around ten times and then hit a baseball. This was quite the problem for me considering I can't hit with a bat on a normal day when I'm not dizzy. After "Field Day" was over, we headed to a beautiful pier and gazebo where the amazing staff  were making us fresh smoothies! I think this may be my new favorite spot down here considering the sun was just getting when we got out there...it was so beautiful!


Afterwards, a group of us went to play putt-putt. We were split up into three groups and my group made a rule that whoever won got to play their fight song in the car on the way back. I was at a slight disadvantage being the only UNC student  against two Michigan State Spartans and two Tennessee Volunteers. Needless to say we weren't singing "I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel dead" on the ride back! 


Afterwards, Lauren, Charlie, Patrick, Alex, Colleen, Kelsea, and I,  went downtown to the pier at Waterfront Park for the second night in a row. I take back what I said about the gazebo, I believe this is my favorite spot in all of Charleston so far.  It was so beautiful!


This morning we attended the churches we will be at this summer for the first time. I will be going to Redeemer Presbyterian Church, which is located right downtown or "don-ton" as the Michiganders would say it. :) The people there were so welcoming and loving. We will be studying the book of Psalm this summer and I am really looking forward to it!  After church, they were so sweet to have us for lunch.  Different families in the church "adopted" us for the summer and I was "adopted" by a sweet couple, Mr. and Mrs. Joyner. I am really looking forward to getting to know them! I also signed up for which area I would like to serve at Redeemer and it looks like I will be helping plan events for some middle school girls in their youth group a couple times throughout the summer and I am really excited!


This afternoon I went to the pool, did some laundry, read, got some mail and then tonight, Lauren and I made tacos for dinner! Later, we had Sunday night "Prayer and Praise" which I think is going to be one of my favorite things about project. This time consisted of just singing and going to the Lord in prayer with one another about the upcoming week and summer. I really want to grow in my prayer life this summer, so this was very encouraging and refreshing!


Well I better head to bed I have McDonald's orientation in the morning! Sorry for such a long post I was just so excited to share the past couple of days with y'all! Most jobs will be in full swing starting this week so please be praying that we would make good first impressions with our employees this  and that they would notice something different in us, that difference being Jesus! Love you all and hope you have a wonderful week ahead!


-Kerry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment